Aeon's Opposite Is A Spaceship



I used to paint before I wrote.

I've given up painting for now to use my spare time to write, but before writing, I used to be more active in the art scene, and showed paintings in local galleries. During openings, it was common for visitors to approach me and ask questions. Some of them would get more in depth about how I thought of something, or particular ideas.  But instead of feeling flattered, I was wary. I used to feel guarded and I would get quiet. I felt cautious because I thought, maybe they had an agenda. After talking through this with a friend one night, he told me not to worry,  and that people were simply trying to gain some insight. They were simply curious and wanted to know. If someone wants to ask, then that is a good sign, he said.

For the most part, creativity and ideas is difficult to explain to people when they ask. In describing such details I can only explain that the creative process begins with an idea. Then maybe some research. Sometimes creativity can also lead you something better than expected. 

Coming up with ideas is not completely chaotic, although at times I feel as if the creative process can be a bit chaotic and you have to reel it in with a bit of patience, understanding and disapline. Aeon's Opposite is a good example of this in my book From Phobos To Mars. 

When I conjured up that name, I wanted something that represented a very fast ship - so I actually used a rational process - but in a creative way if that makes any sense. I thought about the opposite of slow or the opposite of a long stretch of time and I came up with Aeon's Opposite. Aeon has some intriguing definitions —an indefinite and period of time, a unit of time equal to a billion years, age, vital force,  or period of existence or lifetime generation.  In plural it also means eternity. I found myself lost in the mystery of this word.

Another name for a spaceship of mine -  the Star Grazer - is something that just popped into my head. I can't describe how those types of ideas happen. It usually occurs when I am in a relaxed state, such as in the shower, through a dream or sometimes as I run on a treadmill listening to music. I learned recently about brain waves and maybe its possible during these times I have tapped into Theta brainwaves or Alpha waves or something. Theta waves are commonly found when you daydream or are asleep. They are known to help boost creativity, wholeness and intuition. Alpha waves are the frequency bridge between our conscious thinking and subconscious mind.

Characters names can also be fun detail, but an important one. I wanted names I liked, yet uncommon.  Names for me had to be suitable for sci-fi and not fantasy - I needed sci-fi - not elves, not gnomes or pixies. Thus Xanders became the name of my lead hero, and Lirren my heroine.

My anti-grav ship was given a noble but simple name —the Zenith. (A time at which something is most powerful.)

Theres also the Peregrinis Interstellar. Built as a two part ship, like the two part name - with one section made for interplanetary mission runs (the P) and the second vessel for the final landing, (The I) like a drop or transport ship.

Not everyone appreciates all this thought, but my qualifications as an artist boils down to my imagination, and the desire to follow through with ideas.  Einstein once said - Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulates progress, and gives birth to evolution.









Comments

Popular Posts