The Logician



INTP stands for Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking, and Perceiving. It is a four letter personality profile based on the Myers Briggs test. Originally created by Carl Jung, Katharine Cook Briggs, and her daughter Isabel in 1920, the test theorized there were four principle psychological functions - sensation, intuition, feeling and thinking. Originally intended to help women entering the industrial workforce during WWll, it is still popular today.


The idea is that there are four dichotomies that meet together to form your personality type. You are Introverted (I) or Extraverted (E), Sensing (S) or Intuitive (N), Thinking (T) or Feeling (F), and Judging (J) or Perceiving (P). So in total there are 16 personality types. 


It's actually not as boring as it sounds, and these profiles are sometimes taken into account by matchmaking companies. There is a free shortened test you can take online and if you find out what your type is, it's just good to know. There isn't a best type, but it can make you better understand yourself, and appreciate the differences between people. Some people make a hobby of it but once you take the test, you will understand your strengths and weaknesses.


Also known as the architect - I am the INTP, they are rare - maybe 3% of the population - but most of that is male so as a female I am about 1%. The INTP is a person who is typically independent, private and more likely to do things their way. We are suspicious of assumptions and conventions and eager to break apart ideas that others take for granted. It also says we can be merciless when analyzing concepts and beliefs, and tend to correct others.  It's not always a good thing, and I've had to learn the hard way. Depending on the situation I usually go with the flow, and take things pretty lightly, but an INTP is always thinking. Sometimes they put their thoughts to good uses like a famous INTP - Albert Einstein. Social rebellion can be a problem however,  which at times is bad for work and social situations, so needless to say I  do have a hard time following the rules.  ("Uh... I bypassed a few people I don't like, and skipped over some bureaucratic BS to get that report to you early...um...") I sheepishly admit I do hate senseless rules, after all, so many people take them for granted. Note I say senseless here. I do abide the law... but in general I think there are too many DO NOTS here. Has anyone asked themselves who made these rules? Oh well... there I go again. The pioneers they call us, the architects or thinkers. As far as I'm concerned, these questions are an advantage and have saved me from making bad decisions.


Curious and driven, my MB type seems to be exactly what the test will point out, a person who tries very hard to take part in an ordinary conversation. Like how good the food is... Wonderful its great, now can we please discuss how to save the world? I beg you! I don't like lies much either, or arrogance. I suppose what other people are easily impressed by just doesn't cut it for me. I admire hard work and intelligence and sincerity, but in reality, I take a lot of this with a grain of salt and try not to peg anyone, or myself too much. I can be influenced by my personality, but not controlled. At times people are just trying to impress you or get your attention, while others are pretentious or phony and there's a difference. If someone for instance is involved in a pyramid scheme for money, pulling the wool over someone's else eyes,  I will become very agitated. After a few inquisitive and direct questions, I know they will avoid me at all costs, ignore me for someone more gullible, or leave the table. I am used to these reactions by now, but at least they paid for dinner.  I made sure to smile, to nod, and ask they pay the bill first of course, before I began an interrogation. It seemed like the logical thing to do :)

http://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

#INTP


https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/my-brothers-keeper/202002/in-defense-the-myers-briggs






Comments

Popular Posts